Why did mediocre stop being ok?

When did the idea that you have to strive to be the best come in? when did just living a good and happy life go out? When did this word excellence become the thing to strive and sweat for?
I cannot understand why we are asking five-year-olds at parent interviews what their goals are? to eat more than 6 peas on my plate!!!??

Come on people, we are losing perspective of what we are living for. This is not ok. When did a job become a career, and had to be a part of our life which consumed our personal worth and value? We are now measuring ourselves on how well we do our job and what title is written on a business card. 

What if I just want to be a bog standard great teacher. I don't want to climb the ladder. I hate it when I am asked where do I see myself in five years? I don't know!!!! no one knows, and no one should have to even think about it.

There are naturally driven people in this world, and they are our movers and shakers, we need them. But what I see as happening, is the pressure to make the worker bees of this world 'dynamic' worker bees who are supposed to be dreaming for greater and better things. We are being forced into believing that we can reach the stars. But if we don't get there then that's ok, at least we tried. Oh but don't forget we will need to do a reflection on what went wrong and what were the barriers to us not getting to the stars.

I have one son who will touch the stars and I have another son who will be the one pumping the fuel into the rocket. Neither will be more successful or greater than the other. Why do I think that? because the one pumping the gas into the rocket has a heart the size of the milky way. He is perceptive, incredibly kind and loving. He has learning difficulties and had a tough road in his wee life which has taught him resilience. But boy has it knocked his confidence and belief in himself. He can only do what he can do. The son reaching the stars will get there because he is self-driven and single-minded. He is yet to hit any meteors in his life, but by jingos, he will. We will be there to pick him up and dust his knees, put him back on his bike and push him out again.

My husband is mediocre, if he wasn't, then I wouldn't be able to do the things I run around doing. If we were both movers and strivers, then our boys wouldn't have the well run stable home environment which they can come back to each night. 
There is a big difference between mediocre and lazy. There are people out there who need a rocket under them, they are sitting on wasted talent. But that is not mediocre, that's another blog altogether.
Mediocre people keep this world running and ticking along. They are our unsung heroes who faithfully turn up to work, provide a home and food for there families and are actually ok with that. They like it.

I refuse to raise a generation of children who think they are never good enough, they reach a goal then we ask them what next!! It's unrealistic and unfair. My husband said that 'the cream will always rise to the top' Can we please just be happy we are at right now. Be content with whatever it is. If it life sucks, then do something about it, we have enough services and agencies out there to start a small city. But if you are reading this and you are truly happy with your life then congratulations, you are one of few. I am happy with my life and so is my husband. 

Comments

  1. Very intersecting post, I am of two mInds as to striving for better/more.

    I have always been mediocre, I think I haven't done too bad a job of life.

    Yes we soo need the rocket fuelers the house maids the waiters the bus drivers etc in society.
    However, I know many house maids etc, that have moved to other positions. I believe striving to accomplish a new goal is important. It is how we grow as individuals. We don't all need to be the rocket driver but, I believe we need to grow, no matter what we do. This growth may not meet societies standards but it's is importhat we do....

    Week Well t my pennies worth

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts