When did we stop laughing?

I can only think of 2 people I know who have this hearty, deep from your belly laugh. One is a 9-year-old boy I teach and the other is a gorgeous friend from down south (you know who you are darling!!!)
Both these people truly know how to laugh. The boy will often laugh quite inappropriately at a school assembly or while the class is silent reading, but all the same, his laugh is so genuine and expressive. 
With my friend, her laugh is so contagious you find yourself laughing with her not even sure that what you have just said is hilarious, you can't even remember what you have just said!
A laugh like these guys is from deep in the belly, it involves their whole being and explodes out of their face. The other person feels, quite surprisingly, that they must be the funniest person ever for someone to have laughed liked that at what they said. It's such a wonderful feeling.
I'm good at making people laugh, believe me, in my classroom we cannot go a day without me saying something stupid or doing something ridiculous, by accident or on purpose. The whole class roars with laughter... at me.
Just yesterday, in a small reading group, one of the girls said that her cat actually said 'hello'. You mean it meowed 'hello?' No, it apparently said 'hello' So the reading group, including myself, go around trying to imitate a cat saying 'hello' we keep asking her, "is this what it really sounds like?" "no!" 
The laughter that came was just so therapeutic, it was genuine, clean and truly a funny moment. I do have to add, that the next day her mother sent me a short video of the cat saying 'hello'......mmmmmm, leave that one for the jury.
When was the last time we laughed ? I mean actually find something funny and laugh til we are out of breath or our cheeks hurt.
I remember a time in our marriage, the boys were young, money was tight, nerves were frayed. We would sit on the couch tired and just wanting to relax. No energy to laugh, no enthusiasm to find ANYTHING funny. This was a road that would lead us to a cross roads. We would find ourselves a few years later not really knowing or even liking each other. We had forgotten to laugh. We had stopped finding things funny, they were irritating instead. His jokes I had heard so many times were now so bad I wanted to throw a glass of water over him. 
How do we get to that stage? How did we get through it?
I have to admit, it was actually the boys that got us laughing again. Your children become the entertainers. They are the ones who have you in fits of laughter. As they get older and more independent and less taxing on you, they become hilarious with it. The type of humour changes.
I was told many many years ago, that a family who plays together, stays together. You become a very tight unit. You just work through it.

Comments

Popular Posts